Housing options

Because City South’s ‘traditional’ rented properties are in very high demand we have a low turnover of homes and a long waiting list. Unfortunately, unless you are in a high priority band, it’s likely to be a number of years until a suitable property is available.

Therefore, if you want to move quickly, please consider the other housing options available. The key options are outlined below.

Retirement housing
If you’re over 60 and looking for a home then why not consider Will Griffiths Court, our safe, secure, and comfortable retirement housing scheme in moss Side. Click here to find out more.

Shared ownership
Shared Ownership is a part-buy, part-rent scheme for people who cannot afford to buy a home outright. It is a way to buy a share in a home now – usually between 25% and 75% - with the option to buy more in the future. For example, if a property is valued at £100,000 and a customer purchases a 50% share, they would obtain a mortgage for £50,000 and pay rent on the other 50%. City South doesn’t have shared ownership properties but an organisation called Plumlife advertise shared ownership homes in the area. 

Low cost home ownership
There is a wide range of other affordable ways of owning or renting a home such as FirstBuy, HomeBuy, Rent to Buy and Intermediate Market Rent. Plumlife is the government-appointed agent that offers these schemes on behalf of housing associations in Greater Manchester. Visit Plumlife or contact us to find out more.

Private renting
There is plenty of privately rented accommodation in Manchester, with no waiting lists and less red tape. Many private landlords now need a licence, giving more peace of mind about the quality of homes and the standard of services, such as repairs.  Schemes are also available to help people struggling to afford a deposit. Contact us or visit Homefinder or Manchester City Council to find out more. 

Mortgage rescue
Mortgage rescue is a government-backed scheme that helps homeowners struggling with mortgage payments avoid repossession and stay in their home. There are two types of mortgage rescue available – ‘shared equity’ and ‘Government mortgage to rent.’  The scheme is managed by Manchester City Council - click here for more information. You can also download an information leaflet via the links to the right.

Homelessness advice
City South doesn’t offer any emergency accommodation. However, if you think you are in immediate risk of becoming homeless contact us for advice. There is also lots of information available from Manchester City Council.