How we allocate
City South allocates properties in a clear and fair way, prioritising those who need to move most and have waited longest. We also recognise people who make a positive contribution to the community by working or volunteering.
Everyone who qualifies for housing is put into one of six bands, depending on your circumstances. The higher the band, the more chance you have of a home.
Band 1 - people who have an urgent need to move, such as those with a life-threatening illness, or suffering severe abuse or violence, or living in extremely overcrowded accommodation.
Bands 2/3 - people with a specific need to move, such as those with a serious medical condition, suffering abuse or violence, or living in overcrowded accommodation.
Bands 4/5 - people who want to move, or may be in need to some extent, but don’t have the level of need, that puts people in Bands 1-3.
Band 6 - people with reduced priority, such as those who don’t live in, or have no connection to Manchester; those who have rent arrears, have broken a tenancy agreement or acted anti-socially.
You can gain extra priority if you meet certain criteria. If you qualify you could move up from Band 3 to 2 or from Band 5 to 4. You qualify if:
- you or someone moving with you works for at least 16 hours a week and has done for the last 9 months; or
- you, or someone moving with you has lived in an area for three years continuously as an adult; or
- you, or someone moving with you do voluntary work in the area; or
- you or someone moving with you has a Young Person’s Pre-tenancy qualification; or
- you have a child in primary school in the area (City South areas only); or
- you are a second generation applicant whose parent/guardian supports the application and lives in the area (City South areas only); or
- you are a tenant in one of our multi-storey flats and have a child under 10. This will move you up to Band 1
You can check your priority on Manchester Move. It can tell you which band you are in, and what your 'queue date' is – both of which affect what sort of home you could go for, and how quickly you could be offered one.
Go to Manchester Move, log-in and check your rehousing status.